Wednesday

My First Book Signing--a Fiasco!

My very first book signing was on a Saturday, and it almost didn't happen.  I went up the mountain to downtown Blowing Rock, where I'd scheduled with a shop lady to set up outside her little store.  Unfortunately, she being new did not know the rules that basically said I couldn't do that.  Another very nice shopkeeper told me about the rule, and yet another not-so-friendly shopkeeper emphasized the various rules I was apparently breaking right at that moment.

So...my husband helped me pack up and we got ready to drive home.  So much for my exciting first book signing.  Not to mention it was a drizzly, dismal day and looked like it was going to rain.  The weather was appropriate for my mood right then.  To top it off, the heavy humidity brought some kind of allergen with it and my asthma flared up for the first time in months.  I had used my inhaler, since I was planning to do the book signing outdoors, so by that time I was really shaky, which I do not like.

So there I was, disappointed, shaking and trying to find the library because it was my last chance at having any kind of book signing that day.  Found it, and they happened to be having an outdoor book sale that day.  Providence!  I asked some nice lady who asked some other guy if I could set up my little table near their setup and they agreed.  Things were looking better, until I drove around to the parking spot they'd saved for me and there was this tiny elderly lady sitting in a folding chair in the parking space.  I waved at her to show her that I was the one she was saving it for and she scrambled out of the way, not smiling.  I got out and started setting up when the same lady asked me, "Who are you?" in a tone that implies, "What in the world are you doing here, young lady?!"

Oh dear.  Come to find out, she was the person in charge, no one had told her about me, and seems she thought I was trying to run her over--or something unhappy like that.  Well, that wasn't a good way to start the day.  I remembered that verse in Proverbs about how a gift in the hand pacifies the king, so I brought a copy of my book over to where she was whispering about me to a friend, and I apologized for not asking her first (not like I knew I should, but oh well) and I wanted her to have a copy of my book.  Well, she said it wasn't necessary, but I said I wanted to, and finally she relented to accepting it for the library.

I set things up, then spent a few hours moving books farther under the canopy when it started sprinkling, chatting with people about my book and life overseas and such, and selling 12 copies.  Definitely less than I'd hoped for, but considering the weather, the broken rules and the unhappy lady, I was very thankful I'd sold any at all!  I got to meet some wonderful people, and 3 of the people I talked to had heard or seen something about my book before.  That was cool!

This was at a different outdoor book signing--the day of my first one, I was too busy trying to avoid disaster to take a photo!


In the end, I made some friends, sold some books, and the elderly lady turned out to be a very nice person who wished me luck and even gave me some free books for my kids.  (And I learned a lesson or two about finding just the right person to ask--which I will hopefully do ahead of time next time.)

Second book signing, here I come.  I'm excited about the possibilities, and I will try very, very hard not to offend whoever knows the rules or is in charge, or anybody else if I can help it!

Tune in next week to hear about my book signing at Chick-Fil-A that was even more of a fiasco!

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Bet you were glad when that was over! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of the things that scares me as I think ahead to the day I will be doing book signings. Now I see I am right to be concerned. Hope I can at least convince my husband to accompany me to the first ones and assist. We always need to remember--the fiascoes are the only ones worth writing about! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got that right, Karen! Too many others were too boring to even laugh over. =) I've learned to not chase after every possibility because too often they end up like this. Now I'm very choosy, because book signings tend to often not be worth the effort in terms of sales. So now I usually find other ways--speaking is FAR more effective, and not so nerve wracking since you're not just sitting there waiting for someone to come talk to you! =) I bet you'd make an excellent speaker. I know I'd want to come hear you!

      Delete
  3. A dozen books sold—that's really not bad, Kimberly. Now if you just didn't have to run over little old ladies to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahaha. Not exactly the best method for making friends and influencing people. Funny, they've never asked me back! =)

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this blog. So happy I clicked in. Are you selling books yourself or do you have a publisher? What do you think about Indie publishers? I am actively looking for a publisher for my children's books. I would be thrilled to sell 12! Wow that is good. It got your book to 12 families and if they like it they could tell 12 more ans so on! Good luck. I would like to follow your venture to success. It certainly looks like you are headed that way. Best wishes. Follow me http://www.jemsbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Janice. So glad you're here! I do both. I have book contracted by traditional publishers and I also self-publish books. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. My Stolen series has passed the 6,000 sold mark, which is really exciting!!! But it took a lot of work and several years, and I learned the hard way that book signings aren't the best way to do it. =) But I still enjoy them, because you get to meet such interesting people. And you're right, every person that buys one, if they like it, will pass the word, and that's the best marketing there is!
      If you're thinking of going Indie, I highly recommend Amazon's createspace. I've got a blog post on that if you want more info. Best wishes for you and your books!

      Delete